Martijn van Buul (Ellips B.V.) wrote:
Well, thanks for clearing it up. I have replaced the icon in my project now, because the license of the logo is not compatible with the GPL. :-(

Apart from the observation that the correct phrase should be
"The GPL is incompatible with..." (as it firmly puts the blame
back where it belongs), I'm not sure I see the problem, nor do I see how the GPL is even involved. If you load the logo from
disk instead of embedding it in the source, the GPL is no longer
a hindrance.

I agree with Andreas.

I stand corrected as well. A logo can be copyrighted, but in this case, it is a hindrance to projects wanting to make derivatives. But of course, that is by design, since it protects the integrity of the logo.

I think the Lua logo with its copyright terms is more suitable specifically for identification with the use or embedding of Lua or Lua itself. So to me, it is for, say, the Lua binaries and so on or for putting in the manual pages saying that your app uses Lua. So I would make my own logos for my own projects.

After all, you cannot change its appearance except for the line of words. It is so strongly identified with (or visually seen as) Lua that the terms of use will be a hindrance unless your project is very definitely a Lua module.

You cannot even change the colour.

You also cannot make the dashed path properly go through the geometric centre of the "moon".

That would be, uh, unauthorized modification. ;-) (Gee, that moon has huge a mascon anomaly...)

So I would think of it as "Lua's logo" and be done with it.

Serious long-term projects should make their own logo -- you get complete control over it and some peace of mind. I would. There are tons of things that one can do with a "moon" theme.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)