Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the original body of the email you referenced and it's not
clear to me that the mail archive is displaying this incorrectly.  The
message is explicitly requesting that lines not be wrapped (see soft
line breaks in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt) and is not using
format=flowed content type.

I see your point. Actually I didn't even notice that format=flowed messages *are* wrapped correctly (shame on me). After clicking through a bunch of threads in the lua-l archive I can only find a handful of messages that exhibit the problem.

lua-users.org uses a single CSS across the site, and I'm hesitant to
enable the pre tag wrapping site-wide.  Text that is correctly
pre-formatted shouldn't be wrapped, as it will break intended effect
(e.g. on wide tabular lists with many columns).

#lua_l_page pre {
    white-space: pre-wrap;       /* css-3 */
    white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;  /* Mozilla, since 1999 */
    white-space: -pre-wrap;      /* Opera 4-6 */
    white-space: -o-pre-wrap;    /* Opera 7 */
    word-wrap: break-word;       /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */
}

This will then only apply to the lua-l archive. I'm guessing this change won't apply to the thousands of existing static HTML pages but it would IMHO still be an improvement for any new messages.

Anyway, thanks for your time! If you don't include this change then I'll just have to keep using my userContent.css trick :-)

 - Peter Odding