Hi list,

For some years now I've used a user style sheet [1] to enable line wrapping for messages in the lua-l archive on lua-users.org. Without line wrapping paragraphs end up as a single screen line [2] which requires horizontal scrolling back and forth to read every single paragraph. I think this only happens with plain text e-mails.

My request is for anyone with write access to the CSS style sheet at http://lua-users.org/styles/main.css to please include the following seven lines from [3]:

pre {
    white-space: pre-wrap;       /* css-3 */
    white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;  /* Mozilla, since 1999 */
    white-space: -pre-wrap;      /* Opera 4-6 */
    white-space: -o-pre-wrap;    /* Opera 7 */
    word-wrap: break-word;       /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */
}

The above lines enable wrapping of <pre> elements in most popular web browsers which makes the messages in the lua-l archive appear as [4] instead of [2] and this improves usability a lot IMHO.

Thanks for reading and of course for hosting the lua-l archive + wiki!

 - Peter Odding

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#usercss
[2] http://peterodding.com/lua/lua-l-without-wrapping.png
[3] http://users.tkk.fi/tkarvine/pre-wrap-css3-mozilla-opera-ie.html