On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Peter Odding <peter@peterodding.com> wrote:
> For some years now I've used a user style sheet [1] to enable line wrapping
> for messages in the lua-l archive on lua-users.org. Without line wrapping
> paragraphs end up as a single screen line [2] which requires horizontal
> scrolling back and forth to read every single paragraph. I think this only
> happens with plain text e-mails.

I looked at the original body of the email you referenced and it's not
clear to me that the mail archive is displaying this incorrectly.  The
message is explicitly requesting that lines not be wrapped (see soft
line breaks in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt) and is not using
format=flowed content type.

Here is a snippet (note the equals characters):

  Before I try to do this, I was wondering if somebody could tell me =
  whether it is even possible...

  I'd like to graphically render an lpeg grammar, by traversing the =
  grammar nodes and creating a dot-syntax (GraphViz) representation of the =

So if you're saying in Content-Type to only honor your real line
breaks, and then proceeding to use soft breaks to string together
entire paragraphs as a single line, the archive result is reasonable.
I'd argue that the real problem is bad email client behavior.

lua-users.org uses a single CSS across the site, and I'm hesitant to
enable the pre tag wrapping site-wide.  Text that is correctly
pre-formatted shouldn't be wrapped, as it will break intended effect
(e.g. on wide tabular lists with many columns).