I disagree with you that we have no control on how video's appear. You
can embed youtube video's inside the wiki itself, youtube hosts and we
get the bandwidth for free. You don't actually have to visit the
youtube site to view video's hosted there. Ofcourse you are going to
need a youtube (or, e.g. a google account) to be able to upload videos
though.
If you really want to go fancy on it you might want to provide some
torrents instead of HTTP downloads for the full blown HD big video
files and provide the youtube links/embeds for people that agree with
(maybe, youtube does hd..) watching the vid in a lower resolution.