But for teaching a language?  I'd like to see links to any effective
resources that succeeded at that.

For showing off a Lua environment (LuaEclipse, SciTE) then very appropriate.

steve d.
http://www.phpvideotutorials.com/free

I know PHP is not perfect and might appeal to a different audience but I found this site fun and even subscribed to the paid videos which go into detail on how to actually build an application line by line. I don't want to charge anything but something like this might be a lot of fun for the Lua world.

I know youtube has high resolution for some videos but I believe you have to have sort of involvement in youtube to upload this sort of thing. With or without it, it is still a noisy, cluttered site and we have no control over what videos appear in what order and so on.

--Patrick