On 15/07/2010 13:37, Patrick wrote:
I enjoyed learning PHP through screencasts. Sometimes it's good to read a book and
sometimes it's good to sit and stare.

Personal opinion: I never liked screencasts! I tried again recently, and I was quickly bored to see the cursor moving slowly, hesitating, etc. And I am even more perplex for this used for a programming language (makes more sense for a GUI, for example...). Also it is harder to find a specific topic, go ahead (when streaming is slow), etc. No search, no printing...

Now, I am not a native English speaker and while I read English quite fast, I have trouble understanding spoken explanations, so it doesn't help either...

Now, apparently such tutorials are popular, so I am probably more an exception than the norm... So go ahead, as long as such tutorial is a complement, not a replacement of textual tutorials.

It looks like the wiki is written PERL. I am just wondering if it can handle the loads of
this media and if it is permissible or possible to upload this sort of thing. If so could
someone edit the first page at some point to offer links to screencasts? I don't think the
menu as-is would be suitable.

Having video might be quite costly: both in term of storage, and in terms of convenience: hard to set up a streaming server, and not practical to have people to download large files to view them.

Suggestion: make your videos, post them on a high quality video server (or several) like Vimeo (or Dailymotion or even YouTube, who know?), and post a link on the wiki to the page of the video.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France