> In some ways the Lua language and community reminds me of Vorlons. So much
> is implied, so little is stated up front. Doesn't even have a consistent
> object system. You have to discover for yourself. Kind of pre-selects for
> the curious and intelligent. Not the best fit for generating maximum uptake
> of what you are offering, even if it is great. For example, despite thinking
> Lua is great and knowing that Lua is much faster than Ruby, for my next web
> project I'm doing it using Ruby. I want a consistent object model that I can
> leverage other toolkits with. Thats worth more to me than the speed and
> flexibility that Lua offers.

IMHO, I don't think any language on its own merits attracts many new
users relatively speaking.  What really gets people using a language
is what kind of projects, libraries, apps, frameworks, etc. that are
available for a given language.  Actions speak louder than words.
Lua's usefulness should be measured by what people have done with it.
There's a reason lots of people use Python for scientific computing or
Ruby for web-whatever.

wes