On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 02:30, Duncan Cross <duncan.cross@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just stumbled upon this little gem.
>> <quote>
>>  Everything else is disadvantages. If you have choice - avoid it like plague.
>> </quote>
>> Brilliant, isn't it?

> Frankly, as much as I like Lua, I'm a bit uncomfortable with this
> "look at THIS idiot" approach to criticism. If someone believes strong
> typing is The Way To Go, and dynamic typing is Just Plain Wrong, it's
> not likely they'll ever get on with Lua. It's not a position I agree
> with, but I *can* understand it, and respect it as an opinion. Same
> thing with one-based/zero-based issue, or using keywords to delineate
> blocks, although he doesn't mention either of those. These things
> don't bother me, but for some people these things will always
> overshadow the language. That's just the way it is, I don't think
> there's anything to be gained by trying to belittle them.

Um.

1. I apologize if my original post was too rude. I'm too passionate
about Lua criticisms sometimes :-)

2. That being said, when someone advises in public to "avoid [Lua]
like plague", that is a... very closed-minded position to say the
least. Especially when given relatively minor arguments to support it.

I wouldn't advise to avoid "like a plague" even, say, BASIC — every
language has its uses.

3. Anyway, the main point of my original post was not to call someone
a closed-minded person (or even an idiot).

I believe that we (as a community) have a lot to learn from the such
hate speech. It raises questions (like "*Why* do not they Love Lua as
we do?"). Such questions may help us to tune the public image of Lua
so it is perceived even better.

Alexander.