> I guess what I'm asking is, what are the differences between each platform
> and "generic"?

The Unix-like platforms usually are Posix and have dlopen and so MYCFLAGS
is typically MYCFLAGS="-DLUA_USE_POSIX -DLUA_USE_DLOPEN". Some of those do
not need to link with -ldl (dlopen etc being in libc). Some platforms need
to export symbols with -Wl,-E, but others need a different magic (e.g.,
aix needs brtl -bexpall). Then comes the real troublemaker: readline. Some
platforms don't have that (even some Linux ones) unless you install it.
Those that do need to link with -lreadline and possiblity with -lncurses,
but freebsd does not need -lncurses.

So the various platform targets in Makefile encode these differences.
Generic includes none of that.

My question is which of those platforms still make sense? Are there other
platforms that need to supported?