On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> So I can see why it would have been recommended to move to using
> numeric loop instead.

The point is that it does exactly the same that a numeric loop, so
there was no point in keeping it.

Sorry if I'm dense, but how does this argument differ from "numeric loops do exactly the same as gotos, so there was no point in keeping them"?

I understand that ipairs() semantics can be a bit tricky to define in pathological cases, but it makes the iterator and iterated variables much more obvious than the corresponding numeric loop encoding.