David Given wrote:
Well, as a counter-example, I work with embedded systems for a living
and find Android an *utter joy* to use. The SDK Just Works. I can fire
up the IDE, create a project, plug in the phone, press the run button
and it runs (on the phone). I can then press the debug button and it
debugs (on the phone).

As you connect to a real phone, a possible explanation for the different impressions could be that most of the problems I experienced come from the emulator and related plugins.

  Enrico