On 18.03.2010 19:34, Phoenix Sol wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM, steve donovan
> <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pretty interesting link.
>>
>> Entertaining semantic footwork...but I don't think a hard-nosed court
>> would buy the argument that the plaintiff did not have the copyrighted
>> work, only access to distributed binary chunks.

I would leave out all this anti-copyright explanations from the
project's page, or changed its status from "the reason" to "a side
effect". This project is interesting enought from technical point of view.

> My thoughts, more or less exactly... But I'm kind of intrigued about
> it's method of file storage. What are the practical implications of
> breaking up files into shared 'chunks' like that? Better spatial
> efficiency? Crazy processing overhead? Does it have any merit if we
> ignore it's philosophical legal conjecture? (And assuming it's not
> spread out over a bunch of random peecees with miserable upload speeds
> ;)

Thats what I was wondering. I am not interested that much in another P2P
client, but if I could store all my photos using this algorithm with
better efficiency, it would be way more interested project for me.
So I wonder if/how much space you can save if you put many files on such DB.

>> Anyway, it seems that a number of people are building their own Lua
>> web servers in garages.  What's wrong with Xavante?

It's not "install-and-run" (or "plug-and-play") yet, so configuring it
and understanding its internals can be harder than writing your own ;)

Regards,
miko