On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Matthew M. Burke <matthew@bluedino.net> wrote:
Alex Combas wrote:
You see, Windows users know that Windows is a huge mess and don't
mind throwing everything into one big directory, where as in Linux
the users and packagers are quite picky and insist that everything be
packaged properly in its own neat little compartment.

Perhaps this is not what you meant, but metapackages have nothing to do with "throwing everything into one big directory".  Rather, it's a mechanism for easily requiring/installing several packages at the same time.  Ubuntu uses them extensively (so I've read) and Debian uses them also.

Matt

No I didn't mean a meta package like that, I'm talking about the difference of having a single package which includes everything (the windows way) or having to package every single tiny thing individually (the Linux way), but yes once all the various components are packaged for Linux then it is easy to make a meta package which just tells them all to be installed at once the trouble is finding the people willing to create and maintain dozens of individual packages and make sure that they all work together properly release after release.

One big package is a lot easier.

--
Best regards,
Alex Combas