On Jan 28, 2010, at 7:54 PM, spir wrote:

> Some questions on the topic of object identity/address, and hashing:

Out of curiosity... what do you need a table's hash for?

During my initial "get to know Lua" phase, I thought it would be kind of cool to build an entire OO system on top of Lua:

http://dev.alt.textdrive.com/browser/lu
http://dev.alt.textdrive.com/browser/LW

Here was my hash method then (never of any practical use, by the way):

http://dev.alt.textdrive.com/browser/lu/LUObject.lua#L153

Now... with insight... such endeavor turned out to be a total waste of time... a beautiful exercise in futility.

But... to each their own :)