steve donovan wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Christian Tellefsen
<christian.tellefsen@funcom.com> wrote:
I did this by adding code completion that talks to a running Lua state. By
looking at globals, tables and metatables, as well as adding some extra
information when registering data and functions, I have been able to make a
solution that works in most cases. It also adds documentation and search on
everything.

This is very interesting. But this Lua state the actual state the
program is meant to run in?  Or is it a captive state just used to
query the 'common' environment in which the program will run in?

What editor/IDE did you customize?

steve d (just being curious)

That would be an actual Lua state running inside our game.

The editor is proprietary, so I can't help you there. You could make this work with any editor, if you have the source. Connect your editor to the program with your running state and make it serve code completion information.

It's a rather specialized solution that leverages that we know exactly what our Lua code is doing, but it's simple and works pretty well.

Christian Tellefsen
Funcom