On 18/01/2010 11:35, Jim Whitehead II wrote:
Personally, I don't see the need for a forum-like discussion when you
have an existing solution that already serves a very similar purpose
(this mailing list).  That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that in
my times visiting those forums, it didn't have the activity behind it
to justify my attention.

Sure. That's a topic coming up from time to time, with heated discussion among ML fans and forum fans, first arguing (among other arguments) that it is nice to have messages pushed to the client, others arguing they prefer to pick up their threads of interest and ignore the others, it makes a convenient searchable archive, and so on.
Of course, you can do the same things with the ML.
A question of taste. I love mailing lists and I am quite active in a couple of forums (unrelated to Lua).
Forums are maybe more familiar to newcomers and easier to enter, perhaps less intimidating.

But the fact that the forums are quiet or dying shows most knowledgeable people are on the ML camp... :)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France