> Generally I'd rather move to an open source compiler solution, I'd also
> like to get away from dependency on a specific MSVC runtime version.

  Ok, but GCC 4 is not stable in MingW. And I still believe that Visual C++
is the major compiler in Windows, it is not open source but it has a free
version.

> Is it possible to have MSWindows images that aren't dependent on a
> specific runtime version?

  If you want to get the best of the DLLs you must use a common RTL in a
DLL.

> How broken is MSVCRT.DLL? Do these MSVCRT.dll issues cause real problems?

  Yes they do. Specially if you go multithread. Since MSVCRT.dll does not
uses a manifest, I think that it cannot exist more than one in the system,
and there are applications who install their own version of MSVCRT.dll
breaking other applications.

Best,
Scuri