Generally I'd rather move to an open source compiler solution,I'd also
like to get away from dependency on a specific MSVC runtime version.
Is it possible to have MSWindows images that aren't dependent on a
specific runtime version? How broken is MSVCRT.DLL? Do these
MSVCRT.dll issues cause real problems?

Andrew