Would this work?

function addmodulepath(path)
	-- add to package paths (if not already present)
	if not string.find(package.path, path, 0, true) then
		package.path = string.format("%s/?.lua;%s", path, package.path)
		package.path = string.format("%s/?/init.lua;%s", path, package.path)
		package.cpath = string.format("%s/?.dll;%s", path, package.cpath)
	end
end