2009/12/30 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:
> A question for Fabio: what are the issues with Alien for 64-bit Windows?

I can answer part of that. Libffi [1] (the C library on top of which
Alien is built) has no support for 64-bit windows. More specifically
there is a need for some runtime generated glue code (mainly for
callbacks), and assembler support for x64 is very poor so far (many
Visual C++ compilers come without assembler and/or lack support for
inline asm).

Python and Java (in the JNA package) have their own port of libffi
specifically for x64. However I never managed to compile any of these
two for Alien (usually because of the lack of assembler).

I tried all this about a year ago, so things may have changed since then.

[1] http://sourceware.org/libffi/