Here's another function for my list:

-- compare strings case-insensitively
string.cmp(s1, s2)

And on to finding files:

KHMan wrote:
So, in order to have common functionality, no platform is likely
to get a perfect file system library.

I don't think so. In cases like this we can support features of each major platform, implementing them manually for other platforms. I only considered APIs of Windows and Unix (described by Sean Conner). I hope someone will also describe MacOS specifics. In files searching time overhead of supporting features of both systems should be minimal because all extra stuff can be provided on demand. Only the code size can grow considerably.

Here's my proposal:

for f, stat in path.find(mask, filter) do

- 'mask' would be then split into directory path and filename mask. In Posix, the mask (if it's different from "*") would be applied as an additional test.

- 'filter' should allow common file search needs:
1) Files only
2) Directories only (but without "." and "..")
3) List both files and directories
4) Maybe an option to ignore hidden files, maybe another one to ignore read-only or system files, etc. In my project I only have the first two options, but for a common library the third should be supported as well. Dunno what's the best choice here.
I currently consider these meanings of the parameter:
1) "f" - files only
2) "d" - directories only (but without "." and "..")
3) any other value - list anything, even "..". I don't know what to do with "." though. Does it have any practical value at all?

- 'f' is path to file, composed of directory path taken from 'mask' and file name from search. IMO, typically it's the only needed thing, so it's returned separately as the first result.

- 'stat' is the userdata that contains current state of search. It should provide following properties:
1) 'FileName' - name of the file, without path
2) 'FilePath' - same as 'f' described above
3) 'Directory' - the part
4) All fields returned by windows FindFile. On Windows they would be taken from search struct. On Posix they would be taken from stat() call on demand. 5) 'Rewind' method that would call rewinddir() on Posix or would reinitiate search on Windows. Well, if rewinddir() has practical use :)

That's about it.
The "*.*" thing Sean Conner mentioned isn't a problem. "*" works well on Windows. It should be mentioned in help that "*.*" should be avoided. Another thing that shouldn't be used is "\". "/" is easier to write and AFAIK it's supported by most platforms.

----- Original Message ----- From: KHMan