On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Matthew P. Del Buono
<delbu9c1@my.erau.edu> wrote:
> Despite the fact that I can't really change their decision, especially
> without giving hard facts, I find it interesting to point out that they
> seem to be going in the exact opposite direction as everyone else. I
> personally feel (and a few coworkers have brought this up too,
> independently) that Lua is rapidly replacing Python as the premier
> choice in embedded scripting languages for applications. Why they are
> choosing to move back to Python seems to be beyond me. In fact, based
> off your quote (I haven't done research myself), it seems to be based
> mostly off a personal opinion and off no hard facts whatsoever.

Yeah, but the voodoopad author actually put significant time and
energy into integrating lua, it's his opionion, but its based on a
fair bit of experience.

I think that one of two things might have happened.

lua is great if most of  the code you write interacts with the app you
are embedded in. Examples of this would WoW, nmap, wireshark, etc. You
don't write lua code in a wireshark dissector that interacts with the
world, all it can do is call back into the lua core libraries, and the
wireshark libraries. lua is perfect here.

But, if you want to write code that half interacts with the app, and
also interacts with the outside world, maybe it does xmlrpc calls to
get info, maybe it starts up a mini web server or stores things in
mysql, etc., then the fact that lua is library poor starts to matter,
and the fact that your users might already know how to do all those
things in python starts to matter.

I think that's what happened to voodoo pad, he's trying to use the
embedded language to integrate external libraries into his app.

Cheers,
Sam