You won't normally be getting anything binary on these devices (embedded NAS
etc.)

One either needs to compile "native" on the device itself, or cross-compile
using Linux host. OS X host can in theory be used, but one must recompile gcc
for this from scratch, which is rather time taking and complex. I've tried.

My NAS is a NSLU2 ("Slug"), and I've done compilations native on it.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/HomePage

SlugOS started on the NSLU2 device, but is nowadays covering quite a number of
other NASes as well.

> Marvell 1.2GHz CPU and 512MB DDRII memory

Now that is one high performance ARM system. Forget the above; these systems should better be served by something like full-blown Debian installation.

Also forget about the LNUM patch; I'm rather sure the CPU has floating point support included?

Check here:
http://qnap.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

- Asko