> One option would be to recommend that projects moved
> their SCM to sites like github or Google Code and then
> leave luaforge.net as just a catalog and news site

I think these other sites are sufficient and in some ways better (e.g.
SCM) alternatives to LuaForge.  However, I do continue to advocate
creating some type of global catalog site for Lua [1] along the lines
of Perl's search.cpan.org and cpantesters.org but indexing LuaRocks
repositories and possibly other Lua code sources.  Furthermore, last
month there was the discussion of a Lua snippet site [2].  Neither of
these two are well handled by the existing SCM sites.