> I think a first language needs quite a lot of batteries included, so that
> the teacher can provide fun motivating exercises. Graphics, sound,
> networking, hooks into the OS and/or apps (like AppleScript), etc.

Our first programming course on my university teached Lisp. The second
one Ada. Graphics and fun functions didn't come until a whole year had
passed, when we started playing with Java, but the focus of that
course was OO and not graphics etc. I think Lua could very well be a
first language, it does have console input/output, just as Lisp and
Ada ;D