On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, steve donovan wrote:

> But the question du jour is more whether Lua can be used as a good
> introduction to programming, not necessarily as a 'trade skill'.

I think a first language needs quite a lot of batteries included, so that
the teacher can provide fun motivating exercises. Graphics, sound,
networking, hooks into the OS and/or apps (like AppleScript), etc.

As a bare programming language I think Lua is great for teaching, but it
needs a load of addons to provide a fun environment. What I would like is
something a bit like BBC BASIC on the Master (i.e. with a full-screen
editor as well as old-school line-by-line input).

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.