On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Luiz Henrique de
Figueiredo<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> For any tasks that need performance you still need enough C or C++ libraries
> that you can bind to Lua.

There's a sweet spot where the fast stuff is in C and the rest can be
done in Lua without much change in overall performance.  Where that
point lies depends on the application, and ultimately is a
semi-empirical engineering question.

> This is also true for many tasks for which there
> are mature C libraries, even if you don't need raw performance -- you just
> don't want to reinvent the wheel in pure Lua just to have less C in your app.

This is true; there is so much code to borrow or steal out there.  An
exception however is if the library suffers from bloat and excessive
scope, in which case I'd write 100 lines of Lua any day ;)

steve d.