> If nil is allowed as a table key, then next() would have to use some
> other value for the beginning and end of a table.

Yes, and there are possibly other implications. I never suggested that
nil be allowed as a table key. I think one way would be to store the
default value in a special place in the table, outside the hash. But
then people would complain that nil was never traversed by next, etc.

Bottom line, I don't think this is going to change in future versions
of Lua...