Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
i'm among those who thinks that these two concepts sliced together
(1. tables as arrays+hashes, and 2. nil as default value of any table
element) makes language somewhat too complicated

From my experience, it just takes some time to get accustomed.

another idea that simplifies some things at the beginning but then
becomes nightmare is multiple return values. i don't like situation
when result depends on extra parenthesis added to expression

Same as above.
(BTW, multiple returns is one of the most valuable Lua features for me).

--
Shmuel