Hello Paul,

> Me too. Not that I'm advocating it be changed (completely infeasible now),

afaik, major Lua may provide incompatible changes to the language, so
who knows..

> but I do think of it as a wart in an otherwise elegantly designed language.

it's solution that simplified language for computer-illiterate people.
but may be it's possible to make language that is still simple and
elegant but don't use this idea. i just hope that developers will look
into this way, since current solution isn't ideal. it's entirely
possible that they will not find any way to split types while holding
Lua simplicity, so we are out of luck

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin@gmail.com