Cosmin Apreutesei wrote:
i propose to do it in 3 levels:
- first level libs are simple bindings around OS calls (i.e. using
pointers and C structures)
- second level works on top of first level and provides the same
functionality in Lua way
- third level are OS-independent libs working on top of second level

I second that. Level 1 libs would focus on coverage (thinnest
wrapper), layer 2 still on coverage, but would encapsulate the
primitive structures into tables and such for convenience, still no
functionality would be swallowed in the process, and then, the level 3
would be the "abstraction fest" level, where you can have whatever
goals: either portability, OOP encapsulation, stream abstractions,
fluent-style APIs, whatnot.

Oh my, com science geniuses in action. ;-) Good luck, heh, you will need it.

This gives more room for competition on levels 2 and 3 and a lot more
choice for anybody. Of course, the martyrs are level 1 will get no
credit for their hard work, but that's life :)

Before anyone tries to start, please consider first the issue of organization. Ad hoc 'pushing' will tend to peter out. Look at all the past efforts and see how they fared. E.g. http://luacheia.lua-users.org/

It a big undertaking, you wouldn't catch me doing it. :-) I like the current state of chaos just fine. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)