John Hind wrote:
I agree that the return parameters ought to be shown, but I think the rest
of the conventions used in the manual are good, i.e. optional calling
parameters in square brackets and type information in the text. These
conventions can easily get overly formalistic and intimidating for new
users. Remember that calling parameters are often polymorphic so formally
documenting the types can get very complex.

<snip>

nil, error = io.open(filename [, mode])

That's the form I use in my pbLua documentation. Then I describe
the parameters and the types they can have in the subsequent paragraphs.

The formal parameter names often give a really good clue
as to the allowed types. In the example above, I would
assume filename to be a string. The mode parameter could
be a string or an integer representing a bitmask so that would
need a bit more explanation.

Ralph