I agree that the return parameters ought to be shown, but I think the rest
of the conventions used in the manual are good, i.e. optional calling
parameters in square brackets and type information in the text. These
conventions can easily get overly formalistic and intimidating for new
users. Remember that calling parameters are often polymorphic so formally
documenting the types can get very complex.

For example, rather than:

io.open(filename [, mode])

I would write:

handle = io.open(filename [, mode])

Of course the return is also strictly optional, but that is always the case
so it does not need to be stated. Also the returns may be contingent - in
this case there is also a possible alternate:

nil, error = io.open(filename [, mode])

But this is a conventional error return so I'd mention it in the text only.
If there are two or more possible non-conventional returns, I'd show each on
its own line in the header. The advantage of the 'placeholder' variable
names is that it makes it natural and easy to refer to them unambiguously in
the description.