On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, gary ng wrote:
> I believe that depends more on how to 'scale out' rather than scale within a single process(what libevent wants to solve) or machine.
>
> Almost all the containers(like apache, lighttpd etc.) can already handle the role of dispatching(massive connections) quite efficiently. I see no point implementing that in lua or other languages unless your need is very specific.

I like to second that, when you hit 1,000+ connections, the sockets are
the least of your problem. Serving businesslogic to 1,000 clients blows
up a single server anyway and at that point you will have to look at
horizontal scaling. That means you will have to run multiple application
servers proxied by something that can handle 1,000 + connections light
lighttpd, nginx ... the usual suspects. It's probably not a good idea to
do that in Lua and server business logic from the same machine.

	-Tobias