William Pursell wrote:
KHMan wrote:
William Pursell wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:
William Pursell <...> writes:
The problem is that the lua makefiles are built with
the assumption that the readline library is always
available under linux.  This is a packaging error,
and should be reported as a bug.
Given that it's a simple makefile, what do you expect?

They target a "typical" system (of each type), and if yours is
different, you edit the makefile..
[snip]
Life would be much easier if one could build
the system by passing arguments to a configure
script rather than editing Makefiles and luaconf.h
Well then, can you, or someone contribute a configure setup and put it
on the Lua wiki?

I don't believe I've seen a configure setup for Lua yet, perhaps there
is a real dearth of automake/autoconf talent around these parts... We
need a automake/autoconf guru to save us unwashed barbarians! :-)

Here's a quick configure.ac and src/Makefile.am that produced
reasonable results for me. [snip]

Beautiful, this should be on the Lua wiki right away. A configure file would be even better, but I guess now is a good time as any to get myself to re-read the autobook and try it out.

If anyone feels like this would actually be worthwhile,
I'd be willing to spend some time working on it, but
I'm of the mind that it's really not...I suspect most
people copy the source files and compile them into
their projects rather than linking against an installed
liblua.  (At least, that's what I'm doing...but I've only
just started looking at Lua)

I guess most end-users of configure scripts like myself just treat configure scripts as arcane magic. We train just enough grey cells to type './configure' and hit [Enter]. :-)

I think the Lua wiki is a good home for the auto* files, and any discussions on the list can point to and update the wiki page. Perhaps a new discussion thread should be started as well.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)