KHMan wrote:
> William Pursell wrote:

>> Here's a quick configure.ac and src/Makefile.am that produced
>> reasonable results for me. [snip]
>
> Beautiful, this should be on the Lua wiki right away. A configure file
> would be even better, but I guess now is a good time as any to get
> myself to re-read the autobook and try it out.

I wouldn't call it beautiful.  That configure.ac I posted
was very minimal.  For example, although it detects
that readline is available and passes the appropriate
flags to the linker, it does not define LUA_USE_READLINE,
so none of the functionality will be there.
This could be solved in several ways.  To avoid
modifying the code at all, one could add
an AC_DEFINE and not use config.h (by removing
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS), but I think the more
appropriate solution would be to #include <config.h>
in luaconf.h and change the preprocessor
guards to the autonconf style HAVE_LIBREADLINE.

But that's the first step towards "a lot of work".

I wouldn't bother going to the autotool documentation.
Just put the files in place and run "autoreconf -iv"
Also, you'll need to have an up-to-date autoconf
installed.  I notice that I prereq'd 2.63.251, but
that just happened to be what I had installed when
I ran autoscan.  If you want to use it, probably
the easiest thing to do is replace the AC_PREREQ
line with AC_PREREQ([2.63])  (or just delete it
entirely).

--
William Pursell