KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> writes:
> Rather unfortunate, a bunch of academics (from Lawrence Berkeley
> National Laboratory, no less!) who are clueless about licensing issues,
> or LBNL wants the cake and eat it too. It just totally kills my trust in
> their competence in licensing matters. It follows that I for one would
> stay very very far away from what these guys are giving out. Note that
> you might get an okay from them and later that may get overriden by a
> beancounter higher up.

Er, well as a first step, it seems reasonable to just ask the package
author what's up.

I think people tend to be more careful when making the package itself
than when making the web page (it doesn't seem unlikely that they just
stuck it on a existing web page, which may have had license wording
describing the older packages there ... or they forgot to update the web
page after changing the license ... or they just grabbed a web page
template from someone else, or ...).

[It seems fairly common in academia to use FOSS licenses now where they
used something weirder in the past.]

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.