Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
I noticed that the web-page you referenced above says the following:

   This software is provided for research use only.  Incorporating this
   software in any commercial product requires a license agreement.

(i.e., very much not the BSD license) but the qd tar bundle itself
("qd-2.3.7.tar.gz") contains a "COPYING" file with the BSD license.

Kind of confusing...

Yes, definitely confusing. I'm sorry for the noise: I only checked COPYING.
I'd guess that file overides the statement in the web page, but I'm no lawyer.

Without any *absolutely* *clear* clarification, I would have to conclude that they have dreams of commercializing it, and the license in the distribution is not an accurate representation of their intentions.

Rather unfortunate, a bunch of academics (from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, no less!) who are clueless about licensing issues, or LBNL wants the cake and eat it too. It just totally kills my trust in their competence in licensing matters. It follows that I for one would stay very very far away from what these guys are giving out. Note that you might get an okay from them and later that may get overriden by a beancounter higher up.

The correct way would be to do what the lcc people do:
http://drh.svnrepository.com/svn/lcc/tags/v4_2/CPYRIGHT

A most unfortunate state of affairs, indeed.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)