Though this might sound like heresy to you, I've never really required an IDE for Lua development. I'm using SEE (Subethaedit) editor on OSX, which has good syntax highlighting support for Lua.

I don't know if good code completion is really even possible with an all-dynamic language s.a. Lua. Anything can have anything.

I'm eager to see the responses, though. If there were to be a good Lua debugger, it should actually be a joined C++ / Lua debugger, in my opinion.

-asko