Is there any reason not to support metatables for functions? Obviously the __call metamethod is superfluous for functions, but I could imagine uses for other cases. In particular, one could then consider using operators to combine functions. Since these cases would currently just end in an error or in the generic metatable for functions and given that functions aren't particularly tiny objects to begin with, the cost seems like it ought to be small.

I'll have to think about whether this would be truly useful or just interesting, but I was wondering whether there is a reason why it would be a bad idea.

Mark