Some time ago I wrote a tiny XML parser, based on Lua pattern matching (the core is ~50 lines).

It's quite limited (it does not currently support comments and CDATA) and it's far from conformant to the whole XML standard, but it's enough to parse OpenOffice files. I wrote it to do just that, even if the project was then shelved (so I had no opportunity to perform extensive testing).

It creates a simple tree and calls user functions at tag entry/exit and data content while parsing, so the caller can build a dedicated data structure.

It's not in publishable shape and it's only documented in the comments and test data, but should somebody be interested...

  Enrico