In World of Warcraft, GUIDs (globally unique identifiers) apply to
every player, NPC, etc and are 64-bit integers. They arrive in the Lua
engine as 18 byte strings like "0x000000000E3A67B2". This works quite
well as you usually only need check for equality or use them as keys
in a table. Many combat events per second arrive, each with source and
destination GUIDs, spell names etc. Lua handles the strings
efficiently, and (though it would be impossible to test) I don't
imagine performance would be much faster if Lua handled 64-bit ints.
Just my opinion though.

Vaughan