As to the file offsets, double's 53 bits of mantissa should suffice. Gives one 8192TB if I wasn't mistaken.

The situation seems that Lua authors are aware of the potential need, but there is no real case that couldn't be handled with this and lightuserdata (as someone noted). If you do have a genuine 64-bit need (i.e. because of some API you need to use), LNUM patch does this as Steve already noted. Or you can just wrap those 64-bit values as userdata in your C module/binding.

- asko

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:49:29 -0800