On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Mark Meijer <meijer78@gmail.com> wrote:
> guarantee. I just wasn't sure whether or not the author him/herself
> could "change his mind" after the fact, nor whether that would affect
> any existing copies of the software "out there".

Author can't change his mind about existing copies already
distributed, and the luaproc authors aren't doing that.

Anybody who downloaded a GPL version of luaproc can continue to use it
with all the rights and obligations specified in the license they go,
the GPL. That includes giving it somebody else, of course, who will
also be able to use it under the GPL license, etc.

But anybody, including people who have a GPL version (if they want),
can now go get a new version of luaproc from the author (and copyright
holder) under the MIT license.

Its surprising how many people don't understand that the original
copyright holder has the right to distribute their code, as many times
as they want, to whomever they want, under as many licenses as they
want. Despite the fact this is a major part of the business model of
many companies (MySQL, nmap, ...)!

Cheers,
Sam