Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Mark Meijer <meijer78@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a side note, and not to be picky (I do hope the answer to my
>> question is yes in this particular case), but is GPL-ed software even
>> allowed to have that GPL license removed and replaced by a different
>> license?
>
> I believe the problem arises when other people have submitted
> patches to a project that is under GPL, those patch authors
> still retain the right to keep their contributions GPL if
> they so desire.

There is no automatism involved at all.  Without explicit agreement of
the patch submitters, all licensing bets including GPL are off.  At
best, you can make reasonable assumptions (that a submitter does not
mind relicensing his work under the license he had received the upstream
work before contributing).  But strictly speaking, you have to ask a
contributor what you may do with his contribution even when you don't
intend to change the license.

--
David Kastrup