Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
As the person who wrote http://lua-users.org/wiki/AlternativeGetOpt, I'd
just like to chime in that I wrote it as a way to learn how Lua works. I
didn't have a reference to work from, so I didn't know what specific
behaviors were expected. Since the code is deficient, and lua-users.org
is a wiki, please feel free to make modifications, or even replace it
entirely as you see fit.

Just my 2 cents.  IMHO it is much better to have a versioned code than
sources thrown somewhere in WIKI. Especially for such things as module
for processing the applications's options. Such a module is IMHO very
fundamental and is not just example of Lua programming. Versioned
tarballs also makes packaging the software much easier. All modern
UNIX-like OSes use packages for software distribution.

Yes, we heard you the first time. Yes, we know all about version control. But look, if someone does not want to maintain version control for a small module or snippet, it's entirely his/her right to post snippets and leave it to the rest of the universe to deal with pedantry. You don't have to keep pushing this like we're freshmen who are taking their first IT course -- we have already heard you and probably have nothing so say in response to your, uh, unsolicited wisdom.

Say if I intend a snippet to be a public domain bit of code, then I don't want to maintain it, I don't want to be responsible for it in your code, and don't ask me for support or updates. So I might think it totally unnecessary to version it in a public repository and add to more work for myself. If someone wants to use it, it's entirely his/her decision and responsibility to understand it, use it and maintain it. But if I think my module is important enough that I wish to maintain control over it or assert my right to authorship, then I would be more serious about version control. It all depends...

You probably mean well, but trying to push extremely ideal or perfect procedures where it is not wanted is pointless pedantry.

Command line processing is not very fundamental, it's primarily an artifact of the platform. Embedded developers might never have a need for them.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)