Evan DeMond wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM, KHMan <... <...> wrote:

    Evan DeMond wrote:

        I think LuaSocket just uses the same library that you would if
        you were writing your own socket calls. [snip]

    First sentence is not quite correct. LuaSocket has got a
    multi-platform compatibility layer done in usocket.c and wsocket.c,
    so it may seem convenient as it embodies a lot of developer effort.
    [snip]

Yep, that's true - I just meant that drilling down below the compatibility layer, it's still the same old Unix and Windows socket APIs, so I didn't see how using base socket calls yourself, in addition to LuaSocket, would bring in any different libraries.

Sorry, you're right, I took your statement in the wrong context. A common hazard; we appear to others to end up saying too little ("terse") or too much ("overblown reaction") and there appears to be no such thing a "just right". :-) Either way, it's always a minefield. I'm glad Ryan found the discussion useful.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)