On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:
Evan DeMond wrote:
I think LuaSocket just uses the same library that you would if you were writing your own socket calls. [snip]

First sentence is not quite correct. LuaSocket has got a multi-platform compatibility layer done in usocket.c and wsocket.c, so it may seem convenient as it embodies a lot of developer effort. [snip]
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Yep, that's true - I just meant that drilling down below the compatibility layer, it's still the same old Unix and Windows socket APIs, so I didn't see how using base socket calls yourself, in addition to LuaSocket, would bring in any different libraries.

Kein-Hong does bring up another good point, too: keeping all your socket code in Lua is usually the easiest way to go. You've got Lua in there anyways, just Lua do the work! =)

Evan