I'm more of a musician than computer programmer, but over the years
have worked on a few music-related programs in C and Perl. I find that
whenever I return to these languages I basically have to restart at
the beginning. I wrote a whole CGI in Perl but now would have trouble
with a "Hello world" program.

On the other hand, my mind has taken a natural liking to Lua. I first
used it writing an addon for World of Warcraft, and had the basic
concepts under my belt very quickly. I'm now using it to analyze and
manipulate MIDI data in real time. By far the hardest part of the
project was writing the C code to do simple MIDI input and output. Now
that that's finished and I can work on my algorithm, programming in
Lua is easy. Quickly written whole blocks of code often work first
time as expected. I find Lua much easier to use than any other
languages I have tried, but it still has great performance.

-Vaughan